Its officially hurricane season again. As you would expect this means we are dutifully watching the weather while hunkered at the very bottom of the hurricane zone (south Grenada). However, hurricane season also means something else to us Eastern Caribbean cruisers. It means its time to pull out the list of boat jobs that have been building up over the previous cruising season. Its crazy how the jobs pile up in between the beach potlucks and sundowners. Currently our list has 34 items of which I have worked through 21 of them. I thought I would post our list and some pictures of the completed job so far. All the crossed out items have been completed.
1. Replace oven 2. Install propane solenoid 3. Replace anchor light bulb 4. Replace topping lift. 5. Drain water from the sugar scoops 6. Call TD about the credit card. 7. Buy 4 belts 8. Fix throttle control (broken spring). 9. Service the Rainman (change oil) 10. Troubleshoot VHF range, electronic noise 11. Buy new smoke detector and install. 12. Scrape bottom ( 13. Solve diesel leak on starboard engine 14. Add Seastrainer to watermaker intake 15. Finish cleaning boat bottom. 16. Remove dead diesel generator 17. Wire brush and paint propane tank 18. Replace gauges and test wiring harness 19. Calibrate new tachometers 20. Synchronize throttle levers on both motors. 21. Sew a cover for gauges and throttle levers
22. Change oil in second saildrive
23. Scrape bottom (again)
24. Plan and design a lifting system for the Optimist dinghy
25. Check wiring on port side alternator. Troubleshoot low charge rate.
26. Paint Quincy’s room
27. Paint the main salon
28. Refinish the table and pedestal.
29. Tighten belts on both motors.
30. Receive new batteries
31. Rewire boat for new batteries
32. Balance new batteries
33. Test BMS
34. Install new battery system
For those that don’t know. The 2 boys got into a fight in the kitchen which led to Jonah’s knee smashing the glass on our original oven. A cool “Boat Buck” later and we had a new oven.
After 14 years on a boat the old SMEV oven wasn’t in that bad of shape, just a little surface rust on the insulation cover. Our friends on Sirsha Mor took it and passed it onto a lady that cooks pastries as her sole source of income.
At the bottom of this picture is 1/2 of the flat spring that broke in our throttle controls. You would think a flat spring would be easy to find, but NO WAY. I looked everywhere and racked my brain trying to figure out a suitable substitute. I had an epiphany when I passed this scraper in the hardware store.
The scraper was thinner than the original flat spring so I decided to use layers. In the end I had to cut that last piece and use 4 layers of the scraper to get the same performance as the original flat spring.
The initial 3 layers of cut scraper installed. I covered the pieces in Jetlube Nikal to prevent corrosion. Jetlube Nikal is used heavily in the oilfield as an anti-seize compound. However its amazing stuff and has incredible anti-corrosion and lubrication properties.
Ahh the old MASE generator. We have had a tumultuous relationship with this generator. It worked when we initially bought the boat, but on closer inspection it was clear that ALL the safety features had been disabled by the Cubans. As you can imagine I never really trusted it and was always concerned it would burn our boat down. I have to say, I was actually relieved when it completely shit the bed and dumped seawater over all the electronics.
I have completely omitted any pictures of how we actually got the generator out of the boat. Lets just say it was “a less than safe affair” that Wylie Coyote would have been proud of (it weighs 205lbs).
For the fist time since we have owned Party of Five our propane system meets the ABYC standards (yup, the Cubans again).
Ahhh, new gauges. When I first bought the boat I replaced all the gauges with ebay gauges out of India. PURE CRAP. This time I didn’t skimp and actually bought gauges that are MADE IN THE USA. (no kidding, I have not seen a MADE IN THE USA sticker since the 90s). Unfortunately I had to give up the hour meter on the tachometer (they didn’t have stock). However, for the first time since we have owned the boat we actually know what REAL RPM the motors are turning at. Yes, I know its looking dirty around the panel. No worries I got my favorite chemical out after this picture and cleaned everything up. Oh acetone, how I love thee.
I still SUCK big time at sewing, but we really required a helm cover. As you will notice we also have covers for the generator and the throttle controls.