A Busy Day In the Life of POF–PART 1

This post is in response to a question I asked on my Facebook wall. I asked what people most wanted to see me blog about. It was pretty unanimous that everyone wanted to see just a standard day on Party of Five in pictures. Based on that, Rhonda and I endeavored to take as many pictures of a day on Party of Five. Once I began going through the pictures I realized there were just too many for a single post. This post will be “Part 1” and comprise our morning that day. Enjoy!

The kids got up and made their own breakfast. It was a little unusual as we have a rule on Party of Five that the kids aren’t allowed out of their cabins until Rhonda and I are up. It may sound cruel, but they just don’t know how to be quiet and we don’t enjoy being woken at 5:30am

DSCF4736

After breakfast was provisioning time. This involves a dinghy ride in Le Marin which is around the point WAY off in the distance. A dinghy ride of about 4km!

DSCF4770

First we head towards the Club Med dock. Sounds easy, but we need to avoid the 3 waterskiing boats that are constantly taking people from the dock to around the bay. This was also a scary ride when we first got here as the water in front of the resort is full of reef. Since the water is so clear its darn nervewracking to watch the reef whiz by at what looks like 1ft under the dinghy.

DSCF4774

Once we pass the Club Med, we turn the corner into Le Marin bay. This is where things can get interesting. The swells have about 3km to build up here and a small amount of wind can make VERY unpleasant 2ft rollers. On at least one occasion, we have said “screw this” and turned around. It can be a backbreaking and VERY wet ride. We try hard to pick calm days.

DSCF4780

Passing one of the worlds super yachts is a pretty common occurrence down here.  Most of the time, the crews are fantastic and wave as we zip past (look close, this crew saluted us). This particular yacht is 51.8M (170ft) long (POF is 11.99M) and is definitely one of the 5 largest sailboats I have ever seen. She was recently listed for sale and sold for an undisclosed price, however her listing was 17.8 million euro!

DSCF4786

Once through the channel, we bear to port and head into the mangroves towards the boatyard. Here you can see the Leader Price dinghy dock where we will tie up. Brilliant business strategy by Leader Price to provide a dock for cruisers to tie up to.

DSCF4792

Leader Price is a little strange for Canadians. Its like a cross between a Costco and a Superstore. No flash or posh, just simple shelves and aimed at budget shoppers.

DSCF4802

We are indeed in France and no locals would eat a dinner without wine. As such every supermarket carries a large selection of “table” wines. Despite being fantastic wines, they are all very affordable as its considered a staple here. The white bag to the right is one of my favorite red wines. However, I no longer drink it since my last gout attack.

DSCF4804

Of course there is a beer isle. Since Leader Price is a budget minded store they only stock a few of the very cheap brands. Yes beer is sold by the can in Martinique. Buy as many as you like, but they are X amount each.

DSCF4806

Martinique was a pretty big history in the production of rum in the Caribbean. As such the store also carries a complete shelf of rums. Most Canadians would find these type of rums a little unpalatable as they are quite harsh and burny (is that a word). Rum in Martinique is typically drank in a drink called a T-Punch. The harsh flavor is offset with  sugar syrup and a acid (usually lime juice). I do have to admit they can be addicting.

DSCF4808

I had to take a picture of a French blood sausage that our friends on Grateful introduced us to. Its definitely not for everyone, but Quincy, Jonah and myself liked it.

DSCF4810

Of course we are in France so there is cheese. An entire cooler of AMAZING cheeses to be had. Can you tell why we are putting on pounds in this island.

DSCF4811

Shopping done.. Now we need to get all that out of the cart and into our dinghy. Again, brilliant business move by Leader Price as we can roll our cart right down to our dinghy. In other islands we usually have to carry our groceries for at least a few blocks.

DSCF4820

Groceries loaded in the dinghy and we have made our way back to the boat. It’s a very slow ride home as we take it easy and try not to get the groceries wet (usually futile).

DSCF4841

The groceries don’t go directly in the boat. We leave them in cockpit as we sort and process them. We don’t want any critters moving aboard. Ahh, I forgot to mention that this run also included a stop to the fuel dock (red gerry cans) and a stop to a shop to get a butane bottle.

DSCF4846

That’s it.. Stay tuned for the next post, where we put this stuff away and then head to the beach for some spearfishing and a beach fire!

10 comments for “A Busy Day In the Life of POF–PART 1

1. Judy
    January 11, 2018 at 12:53 pm

Loved this post…..and the pictures! Brought back so many memories of Antigua and our boat trips to the dock, shopping, the ride back to the boat and of coarse getting wet……inconsiderate fast ocean cruisers…driven by young whippersnappers and then laughing at us as we wipe our faces…..lol

2. Judy
    January 11, 2018 at 12:54 pm

Beautiful looking new cushions…..can not wait to see them.

3. Marcie Leier
    January 11, 2018 at 1:27 pm

Great post! What did the kids get themselves for breakfast? Gout! Oh no! Ryan recently had his first gout attack. Definitely not fun! What do you do to treat it over there?

• travis
      January 11, 2018 at 1:39 pm

They all had different things that morning. Quincy made toast. Daph is eating cereal (with a metric shit ton of sugar). I think Jonah had yogurt and an apple.

Gout is brutal and once you have had 1 attack you will have it for the rest of your life. It depends on the person, some people have flare ups once a month, others once a year, lucky ones every few years. Its very diet dependent. Since I have had it since I was 20, I know what brings it on. Red wine and Pate is a sure winner for me. I can eat most of what the DRs say brings it on (I really think they have no idea).

In my 20 years of having gout, I have only found 1 medicine that kills the flare up. Colchicine is the only medicine that will take the flare up away. Unfortunately it takes a few days to work. I use Ibuprofen during the days I’m waiting for the Colchicine to work. The good thing is Colchicine is available over the counter in all the countries we have travelled (actually all meds except opiates are readily available).

I hope Ryan is one of the lucky ones as its definitely a super shitty disease!

• Marcie
        January 13, 2018 at 9:56 am

That is lucky! The colchicine didn’t work for Ryan. He’s now waiting to get in with a specialist and look at Allopurinol. I agree, no one seems to know what really triggers attacks, or the triggers are different for everyone!

• travis
          January 13, 2018 at 10:49 am

Wow, really Colchicine didn’t work. Damn its one of the oldest medicines known for gout. It has been used as far back as the 1500s for treating it. I have never heard of anyone it doesn’t work for! Maybe his dose was too small. I usually take 1mg in the morning and 1mg in the evening during an attack (however, I have gone as high as 4mg a day). It never fails to fix my attack in 3-5 days. (yes it has bad side effects though).. Down here, every pharmacy carries it.

Good luck with Allopurinol. It seems to work for about %30 of people. However those %30 seem to stave off all attacks using it.

One thing that seems to connect all the people I know with gout is cured meats (they are high in nitrites). This includes things like lunch meats, beef jerky, sausage, hot dogs, ect.. Anything that is processed really.. Avoiding any processed meats seems to help everyone with gout.

4. Georgette and Russell Drolet
    January 11, 2018 at 2:44 pm

Very interesting blog, I see you have a great abundance of beer. You are lucky beer does not affect your gout So now you are just relaxing and having fun, that’s what we do in Yuma. We are going to try Osyoos this winter for 6 weeks, hope it will be fun. Happy sailing and enjoy your time in the Carribean.

5. shirlee
    January 11, 2018 at 5:18 pm

Thanks for the update on your blog. We look forward to reading it.
    Love seeing and reading a day in the life of the Wizzy gang.
    Can’t wait for the next one.

6. Loucinda Stanley
    January 11, 2018 at 6:18 pm

Love this one Travis just might have to buy you some beer at the end of the series!

• travis
      January 13, 2018 at 10:50 am

Thanks Loucinda… We also appreciated the donation. We will make sure it goes to something nice and not just beer 😉