Luperon – Pictures

So I have had a couple of people ask to see some pictures of Luperon. Now I will preface these pictures by saying that this part of the Dominican Republic is definitely what my Canadian and American friends would call 3rd world. In fact, Dominican Republic is tied for the least developed place I have ever visited (tied with south Cuba). I don’t say this as a bad thing, but it would be a shock to some people. However, the Dominican’s are the friendliest and happiest people I have encountered. Not only that, but I’m dumbfounded how they are so clean. Seriously, some of them live in dirt floor shacks, but wear shirts that are whiter than you can believe…

The view as you enter Luperon. There are unfinished buildings everywhere. This one barely got started before being abandoned.

IMG_2289

Main Street into town. At least the Dominicans seem to have a better electrical code than most other 3rd world countries. Also notice the vehicles. Unlike Cuba they have close ties to USA and other trading partners so have MUCH nicer vehicles.

IMG_2290

The local welding shop (scooter out front). Its a common sight to see them out on the sidewalk welding, grinding or cutting. I have never seen any safety gear other than a welding helmet. It was interesting to watch one guy using an Oxy-Acetylene torch with flip-flops.

IMG_2291

The little yellow building is our favorite bar (Wendy’s). Unfortunately I didn’t get pictures inside. Its little more than a tin roofed shack furnished with patio furniture. However it has one of the best atmosphere’s that I have ever encountered. I will miss Wendy’s and the great people there.

IMG_2293

A typical Luperon street with Gringo apartments on the left.

IMG_2294

An old dog is kinda a new thing here. They have just recently began taking care of their dogs. They now offer free clinics with medicine for multiple problems every 3 months.

IMG_2296

Someone’s house I found interesting.

IMG_2298

A garden in the middle of town. Looking a little overgrown, but stuff grows so fast here its very hard to keep it from happening. According to wikipedia Dominican Republic is the second most fertile place in the world. People have told us that you don’t need to plant anything, just throw some seeds on the ground and anything will grow.

IMG_2299

Someone cooked lunch in the middle of the sidewalk. The coals were still hot when I walked by.

IMG_2300

I have tried to capture the beauty of the harbor multiple times but it just doesn’t come through in the camera. With the sun at the right angle, the mist in the hills, and a harbor full of masts…. It truly takes your breath away sometimes.

IMG_2301

Smitty behind us. Sea Frog to the left (blue stripe)

IMG_2302

6 comments for “Luperon – Pictures

1. Georgette Drolet
    June 8, 2016 at 11:02 am

Very interesting.

2. Sue rae
    June 8, 2016 at 11:14 am

So simple but beautiful

• travis
      June 8, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Pictures do strange things to the actual feel. Things always look cleaner and brighter in the pictures. In real life its more dirty, dull and run down (at least we would call it that). However, there are some fantastic homes that are between the dirt floor shacks and the monstrosities we build in Canada. Those are the houses I would agree are simple and beautiful.

3. June 9, 2016 at 12:03 pm

How did you find security while there? And the typical “gift” upon entry? When we where there in 2004-05 we got away with a chocolate bar for the security guys, and some cash for the comandante. I have such fond memories of Luperon, I would love to go back with my kids now (3 and 18 months). However, I’ve been repeatedly warned that the area has changed, and it is unhealthy, unfriendly, and unsafe. Not usually one to care much for nay sayers, I do find that I check things out more before going than I did pre kids. Lol.

Glad to see such great photos and bring back such fond memories. Did you make it to Los Cascades? A stunning nature walk just a short trip away from down town.

• travis
      June 9, 2016 at 12:24 pm

Although Luperon is at one of the low points in its history (so few boats come now), the security is NO problem at all. We didn’t have anything stolen or tampered with. Nobody was pushy or tried to push services on us. In fact it was one of the more secure places we have been lately. We have 3 kids aboard (aged 8, 7, 5) and never worried for their safety or security. Hell we sat at Wendy’s drinking beer while the kids played soccer in the street with local kids. They treated our kids just like one of the community. As to being unhealthy… Well I certainly wouldn’t swim in the harbor. That is the one downside of Luperon, the harbor is filthy and I suspect very unhealthy to interact with.

As to “gifts”.. NOT ONE PERSON ASKED FOR A GIFT, upon entry or exit. The security guys asked if we had cold water for a drink, but I gave them a couple of beer instead. Other than that, there was not tips, gifts or bribes. However, some of the fees that they charge are kinda crappy. They charge a commercial boat harbor fee regardless of your boat status. Unfortunately its charges monthly as well ($15USD for under 30ft, $20USD for over 30ft). Not the end of the world.

Unfortunately we didn’t make it to Los Cascades. However, we did do the waterfalls which were the highlight of our trip. Its sad that we missed so much as Luperon has a ton to see and offer. We hope to come back some day.

Thanks for the comments..

4. Betts
    June 16, 2016 at 6:31 pm

you got lucky on the electrical, there are lot’s of wire nests around us. Sorry we weren’t able to visit while you guys were there.